"I did factory reset on Mac but now I am unable to find my data. How do I get data back from my MacBook after a factory reset?"
Factory reset is the least possible solution that we have to use in some situations. It makes your device as it has just come out of the box. But in this process, you may lose all the data stored on the device. But before going into further details on how to restore files after factory reset Mac, we should look into why factory reset is needed.
Part 1. Why Factory Reset Is Needed for Mac?
Multiple reasons can create the necessity of factory reset. Such reasons are listed below:
- Mac isn’t booting successfully.
- You want to install fresh MacOS.
- Mac is getting slower.
- You are selling your Mac.
These are some of the reasons that can lead to factory reset your Mac.
Part 2. What Happens While Factory Resetting a Mac?
Two prominent things happen during the factory reset process. The first thing Mas install was the OS that came along when you bought the device. The second thing it does is erase your hard drive with a new file format system that's HFS+ or APFS. But as the erasing process is done, so the data stored on your Mac's hard drive will be unreachable. This data remains on the drive and will be overwritten with the new data. Let’s learn how to recover files after factory reset.
Part 3. Workable Ways to find Mac Data After Factory Reset
In this part, we will look at some ways how to retrieve files after factory reset. We will show you two different methods in which one uses Time Machine Backup and the second method will make use of a third-party data recovery tool.
Method 1. Restore from Time Machine Backup
Time Machine is a built-in backup feature of your Mac. This feature will make use of the backup that you created on your Mac and will restore data from there. You are lucky if you have already created a Time machine on an external hard drive. It will give you a 100% recovery rate of your formatted data. Let's see how to retrieve Mac data after a factory reset.
Restore Mac Data After Factory Reset Using Time Machine Backup Step by Step Guide
- Connect your external hard drive that contains the Time machine backup to your Mac.
- On your Mac, open Launchpad and click on "Others", look for the Time Machine icon to enter Time Machine.
- By scrolling up and down to the timeline explore all the backups that may contain your deleted files.
- Choose the file that contains your files and click "Restore" to save it.
Now, restart your Mac and this will bring all the files back to their position where they were before deletion.
Method 2. Recover Mac Data after Factory Reset without Time Machine, But Data Recovery Software
This method makes use of a data recovery tool and it doesn't require any Time machine backup in case you haven’t had backed up the lost data. Data Recovery will scan the whole drive from where the data was deleted and brings back it to the drive again. iBatsoft Data Recovery for Mac is the easiest and professional Mac file recovery software that enable users to find deleted/formatted files and folders from the hard disk. Let’s have a look at its features:
Your Powerfully Software for Recover Video from SD Card
- Recover permanently deleted files on Mac no matter how you lost the files, including factory reset Mac
- Supports over 1000 file types widely used on a Mac, including photos, videos, documents, archives, emails, and more.
- Fully compatible with all macOS, including the latest Big Sur.
- Easy to use for data recovery on a Mac with simple built-in navigation.
- Preview files before data recovery on Mac.
How to Use Tool to Recover Files After Factory Reset
Download iBatsoft Data Recovery for Mac by clicking the DOWNLOAD button. After then, install it on your Mac. It’s virus-free. If there is any problem in installing it, set up your macOS preference as install apps from App Store and identified developers.
- Launch the tool once it’s installed. Choose the drive which was formatted during the factory reset and click on the big "Scan" button to scan for the lost files.
- This scanning process may take some time and you may have to wait for the process to be completed. Once it's finished, all the files and folders will be sorted according to their file type and format. Select file types to preview. When finding the target files, select them and click "Save" to save them on your Mac again.
This method is really helpful as it doesn't require any backup. You just install the tool as the free version, displaying all the recoverable files. After then, upgrade it to a plan to full features for data recovery on Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions for How to Recover Mac Data after Factory Reset
Can you retrieve deleted data on Mac after Factory Reset?
Yes, it's possible to retrieve deleted files on your Mac. You can easily recover them from the hard drive using a data recovery tool and the other method is using the Time machine backup. But Time machine backup method is not efficient as many users don't prefer to create regular backups. You can try iBatsoft Data Recovery to get back data on Mac after factory reset.
- Download and install iBatsoft Data Recovery for Mac.
- Launch it and select the hard drive where you have lost files on Mac. Click "Scan".
- Preview found files.
- Select needed files and click "Save" to save it.
Can you restore Mac without Time Machine?
You can’t restore a working copy of your macOS but the positive update is that you would be able to find the lost files and data that was lost during the restore using iBatsoft data recovery tool for Mac.
- Install the hard disk recovery software for Mac on your Macbook or iMac. Launch it.
- Select the disk and click "Scan".
- Select target files and click "Save" to restore them.
What happens if I erase Mac?
All the data and files stored on your Mac computer will be wiped out on restoring it. Even all your files and data will not be found on Mac after you have erased the Mac.
Factory reset is necessary sometimes to overcome a lot of issues but this also erases all the data stored on the hard drive. But now with the help of powerful data recovery apps, it's possible to recover Mac data after factory reset. iBatsoft Data Recovery for Mac is such an amazing tool that can be helpful in data loss scenarios.