"I was facing an issue while using my computer as it was hanging and sometimes it was freezing while working for few moments. I decided to reinstall Windows 11 and it took me an hour to complete the process but after starting my computer I realized as all my important documents, videos, and pictures were deleted. I want to know how to find old files after reinstalling Windows?"
by Microsoft corporations. After releasing Microsoft Windows 11, the users have dramatically grown as compared to previous years. It’s very user-friendly, interactive, lightweight, fast, and reliable as compared to the previous Windows versions. But sometimes there are problems that can only be solved be reinstalling Windows and in such a scenario, there are chances that you may lose your important data stored on the computer. Here, data recovery comes into the field and in this article, we will show you three different ways to recover files after reinstalling Windows 11/10/7.
- Table of contents
- Part 1. Is It Possible to Recover Files After Reinstalling Windows
- Part 2. How to Recover Deleted Files after Reinstalling Windows 11/10/7 with Software
- Part 3. How to Restore Files after Reinstalling Windows 11/10/7 with Windows Backup
- Part 4. How to Retrieve Files after Reinstalling with Restore Point
Part 1. Is It Possible to Recover Files After Reinstalling Windows
In order to understand, first which data will be removed from the computer. Only data that’s stored on the partition where the Windows is going to install will be deleted as this partition will be automatically formatted by the Windows. All other files and folders stored on other partitions will remain unaffected and safe. After formatting, the data is still on your computer but you can’t access them directly and it will be there as long as you don’t overwrite it with any other data. You don’t need to worry as you have still chances to find deleted files after reinstalling windows. Let’s start with the first method that will help you to restore deleted files after reinstalling Windows.
Part 2. How to Recover Deleted Files after Reinstalling Windows 11/10/7 with Software
According to the information that’s provided in the above section, you may have a clear idea that deleted data after reinstalling Windows remains on PC but you can’t access it. So, to access that deleted data and to recover files after reinstalling Windows a professional and powerful utility tool is needed that’s known as the Data Recovery tool.
These tools are very helpful and they scan the whole drive or partition and bring back all the deleted files almost in every scenario. The data recovery tool that we recommend and use is iBatsoft Data Recovery and it’s very helpful to provide quality results in such scenarios. This tool will also restore files that were deleted during the reinstallation of Windows 11/10/7. After reinstalling the Windows, you have to install iBatsoft Data recover and in this, we will teach you the complete process step by step of how to recover lost files after reinstalling windows. Let’s have a look at the features of the iBatsoft Data Recovery tool.
Your Best Data Recovery Software
- Get back files lost due to deletion, reinstalling OS, formatting, factory reset.
- Scan/Preview files before recovery and saving them on the hard drive.
- Recover deleted files from memory cards, USB flash drives, external hard drives, etc.
- Supports all the file formats such as pictures, videos, audio, documents, archives, and other files.
How to Use iBatsoft Data Recovery to Recover Deleted Files After Reinstalling Windows 11/10/7
Click the Free Download button to download the setup file and after downloading double click on it to start the installation process. Once the installation is completed, launch the tool on your computer by double-clicking the icon on the desktop or from the Windows menu.
- Select the Disk
- Start Recovering Files Deleted After Reinstalling Windows
After launching the tool, You have to select a location or drive that was formatted during the reinstallation of Windows and click "Scan" to start the scanning process.
iBatsoft Data Recovery will take some time as the scanning time depends on the size of the partition or drive that’s being scanned. Once the scanning process is finished, it will sort all the files in an aligned way according to the file types that were deleted. iBatsoft offers a feature that allows users to preview their files before recovering them on the local drive and this way you can save a lot of time and space as you have the option to choose only files that are important for you. Click on any file that you want to get back and then click on the "Save" button.
Note: Always keep in mind that recovered files should be saved in the same location from where they were recovered as this would decrease the data recovery rate.
Part 3. How to Restore Files after Reinstalling Windows 11/10/7 with Windows Backup
You can restore deleted files after reinstalling Windows on your computer with the help of File History but this will only work if you have already created backups of your Windows. Here are the steps to the complete process.
- Open "Settings" on your computer and click on the "Update & Security" option, there you will see an option named "Backup".
- In the Backup section, you will see an option below the "Back up using File History" as "More options" and click on it.
- On clicking that option, you will go to another window and name "Related Settings" and look for an option named "Restore from a current backup".
- It will open a window from where you can locate target files that you have created as a backup before. There you will be able to see a different version of files and folder and you can choose anyone that fits your needs.
- After knowing which backup folder contain your deleted files, select that folder and hit the "Restore" button and your files will be restored to their original location. You can still change the location of your files as well.
Note: Please keep in mind, in order to find files from the backup you have to create a backup first. If you haven’t created a backup on your computer, then there are no chances that this method will bring back your deleted file folders.
Part 4. How to Retrieve Files after Reinstalling with Restore Point
This is another method to recover files after installing Windows OS on your computer by using a feature of Microsoft Windows that’s known as System Restore Point. It’s a feature that allows Windows 11/10/7 users to restore their computer’s files to an earlier point or earlier date. Let’s follow the steps on how to restore files using System Restore Point.
- Type "system restore" on the search bar in the taskbar and an item will appear named "Create a restore point" and click on it.
- You will get into System Properties and the System Protection tab will be active by default and here you have to click on "System Restore".
- Again you will be in a pop-up window as "Restore system files and settings" and click on the Next button.
- After next, you will find different restore points that were created by the system according to the date and time. You can choose one where you want to restore your system.
There’s another option that’s named "Scan for affected program" and this will automatically restore the deleted files and folders.
Note: This method will only work if you have turned on System Restore point otherwise there will be no benefit for using this method.
All the methods that are described above are the solutions to how to restore deleted files after reinstalling windows. But the most effective method is using the iBatsoft Data Recovery tool because the other two methods required to be enabled first otherwise you can’t take benefit from them.