"Last day, I was deleting some unused files but accidentally I deleted some of my business-related excel files. How can I recover permanently deleted Excel files in Windows 11?"
Like any other file type, Excel files aren’t prone to deletion. In this article, you will learn about different ways on how to restore deleted Excel files in Windows 11/10.
Part 1. Get Back Deleted Excel Files in Windows Recycle Bin
Deleted some Excel files accidentally? Well, the first thing that comes into anyone’s mind is Windows Recycle Bin. As it was kept in mind while developing Windows OS that sometimes action happens unintentionally. Recycle Bin handles such things and it’s used to store deleted files temporarily as any other normal folder does. How to restore deleted Excel files in Windows 11/10 from recycle bin?
- Open Recycle Bin by right-clicking on it or using double-click.
- Look for the file that you deleted by mistake in the Recycle Bin.
- click on the item that you want to get back and choose the "Restore the selected items" option from top.
After the last action, you will be able to restore deleted Excel file on Windows 11/10 and it will be sent back to its original location where it was stored before.
Part 2. Recover Deleted Excel Files in Windows 11/10 File History
Yet not able to find deleted Excel files on Windows from Recycle Bin? Well, there’s another way that makes use of Backup. Microsoft Windows OS comes with build-in backup tools that are known as File History. In this method, we will use this File History feature to get a deleted excel file back. Follow the steps to find how to recover permanently deleted Excel files.
- Click on the "Search" icon and type "restore".
- Choose to "Restore your files with File History" and a new window will appear.
- A list of all the files will appear there and here you can make use of the arrow key to look for the versions for the files.
- Once you have reached the right file you were looking for, you can easily restore it to its original location and to any other location with a single click.
But there are few drawbacks to this method such as if you haven’t created a backup this method won’t be helpful for you. If you created a file after the backup was done, there are chances that you won’t be able to get back that Excel file on Windows PC.
Part 3. Recover Permanently Deleted Excel Files in Windows 11/10
Recycle Bin is only capable to restore those files that aren’t permanently deleted. If the files are permanently deleted, you won’t be able to get them back. If you don’t create a backup or the backup is too old, this won’t help you to restore deleted Excel files on Windows 11/10.
In such a scenario, the only tool that can help you is a data recovery software to find deleted Excel files. Do you know how Excel recovery software works? Whenever a user deletes a file or folder on Windows, it’s not physically removed from the drive. Windows delete the logical links to the data and present it as an empty space whenever we want to store new data.
The data recovery tool can recover the data until it’s overwritten by another data. These tools scan the storage device and repair those logical links hence enabling other applications and OS to reach that data.
A lot of data recovery tools can be found but the difference is among the algorithms and file recovery rate they offer. We have used many tools over a period of time and one which we found to be efficient is the iBatsoft data recovery tool. iBatsoft is a tool designed to overcome data lost scenarios and help users to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10, 11, 8, and 7..
How to Retrieve Deleted Excel Files in Windows 11/10 Step by Step Guide
- Download and install iBatsoft on your computer and once installed run it.
- On the main screen choose the drive from where you deleted Excel files.
- After that click on the "Scan" button and iBatsoft will start scanning the selected drive with just a click of the mouse.
- The scanning process takes some time as it has to scan the whole drive looking for the deleted Excel files. Once the scan is complete, all the files and folders will appear and from there you can apply type, time, and other filers available for sorting purposes.
- Look for the deleted Excel files and once you exactly get them, restore them to drive and choose a location where you want to save them. Before saving files you can preview them as well to ensure that they are the same files you were looking for.
Note: During this process keep one thing in mind that the saving path or location shouldn’t be on the same drive from the data was deleted.
Part 4. How to Get Back Previous Version/Saved over Excel File in Windows 11/10
This is another scenario in which the Excel files were earlier saved but something like the power went off or Excel crashed while you were working on it. In such a case, the remains are saved but changes are lost that the user made. You can follow the steps below for recovering previous version Excel files in Windows 11/10.
- Choose any existing Workbook and on opening it you will notice a document recovery pane on the right side that shows all the unsaved files.
- From the list of unsaved files see which file you were working on and it will load it’s all its data. Later after getting the data, you were looking for, you can save them with a different name.
There’s another way to recover the previous version/saved over Excel file in Windows. When you open the Excel application, Show Recovered Files appears and by clicking on it you can open the document recovery pane as well.
Part 5. How to Recover Unsaved Excel Files in Windows 11/10
Suppose you were working on some Excel file and suddenly Excel crashed, what’s the next step? Can you still find the lost Excel files on Windows 11/10? Yes, it’s still possible to get Excel files back. Microsoft Excel comes with a built-in feature like AutoSave and Auto Recover. By default, these features are enabled and if you are not sure about it, you can enable them by yourself. Follow the steps below to recover an unsaved Excel file:
- Open a new workbook in Excel and click on "File" > "Open".
- Click on Recent and you will notice an option as "Recover Unsaved Workbooks" appearing at the bottom.
- A new dialogue box will appear that will contain a list of unsaved workbooks and you can open any book that you want.
- After choosing a file save it with a different name on any of your locations using the Save As option.
Alternatively, you can directly access the path where Excel stored the unsaved files as given below:
You just have to replace the [YourSystemName] with the name of your system. By directly opening this folder that saves the unsaved Excel files, you can copy and paste that address into
A bunch of different methods can be applied to restore deleted Excel files on Windows 11/10. The recovery can be efficient if you quickly apply it after the data has been lost. The drive shouldn’t be used anymore until the data recovery process is done. The best data recovery tool for recovering deleted Excel files on Windows PC is iBatsoft and you can give it a try to test its features. Later, depending on the test you can make a decision whether you should buy the pro version or not.