When you’re using an external hard drive, open it and find it doesn’t let you browse the files there at all, or it even doesn’t allow you to access to the hard drive, then mostly the external hard drive becomes raw, a kind of system corruption. It also comes with the messages listed below:
- Do you want the system to format?
- Incorrect parameter
- Format your disk in the drive
- The file is unreadable
- The file is corrupted
All these messages can appear but you don’t need to get worried about anything. You just need to follow the following guide for how to recover data from raw external hard disk as well as proved workable ways to fix external hard drive in raw.
Please note that it’s a fact that the external hard drive becomes raw. The first thing before you fix it, you should restore data from raw external hard drive, preventing any data loss incidents. When the data is safe, then learn how to fix raw external hard drive next.
Part 1. How to Retrieve Files from Raw External Hard Drive
Since you can’t access to the raw external hard drive at all, so do anybody else. The only way is make use of data recovery software to recover data from raw external hard disk.
iBatsoft Data Recovery is the best software that helps you scan the raw external hard drive, listing all the recoverable files for you to recover. It supports multiple file types, including photos, videos, documents, audio files, and more. It can scan the raw external hard drive very easily and quickly, making sure to recover files trapped there as soon as possible. You can follow the steps below to learn how to how to get back the data from external raw hard drive with it.
- First of all, open the computer and connect raw external hard drive with your computer. After then, click the download button to install the data recovery on your computer and launch it.
- In order to find that data which you are looking for, select the raw external hard drive to scan. Click on the "Scan" button in order to recover files from raw external hard drive in the left panel.
- wait for the scanning process to finish. After then, you can see the data recovery lists all the recoverable files from the raw external hard drive. You just need to select the ones you need and preview them. When seeing they’re the ones to recover, select them and click "Save" to save them on your computer.
There is also an option "Ultra Scan" in the scanning result window. It is a feature to scan your raw external hard drive again, finding more files for you. You can try it if you are content with the first scanning process.
After learning how to recover data from raw external hard disk, then you must want to know how to fix external hard drive that is raw. Now you just feel free to do it since data is safe now.
Part 2. How to Fix Raw External Hard Drive without/with Formatting
Fixing the raw external hard drive without/with formatting is not a big task. All you need to do is follow all the basic instructions for the fixation and once you follow, you will realize how easy it is to fix a raw external hard drive without formatting. There are four effective methods that help you to fix your system issues.
Method 1: How to Fix Raw External Hard Drive with CMD
Yes, formatting is the quickest way. However, many people want to know how to fix raw external hard drive without formatting. Let’s do it as how to fix raw external hard drive without formatting using CMD.
- Connect the raw hard drive with the system.
- Type in "cmd" in the search box at the bottom left of your PC and press Enter.
- You will see the "DiskPart", type on it, and then click on "Enter".
- Try to type "convert f:/fs:ntfs" and then click the "Enter" button. Always remember that "f" is the letter for the raw external hard drive connected with your computer.
Method 2: Fix Raw External Hard Drive by Run Chkdsk
The main built-in tool in your Window is Chkdsk and this tool is best for repairing and analyzing hard drive errors. For the resolution of the issue of how to fix raw external hard drive without losing data, try using this tool.
- Always type "CMD" in the computer’s search box searching for it. After then, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator".
- After doing so, type "chkdsk g:/f" and, then, click on "Enter". G is the letter that represents the RAW external hard drive connected with your computer.
- For the fixation of the problem of converting RAW to NTFS without losing data, allow the completion of the process.
Method 3: How to Fix Raw External Hard Drive to NTFS by Converting Raw to NTFS with DiskPart
DiskPart is a tool that is designed to manage partitions, drives, virtual disks as well as volumes in a computer. It can help to change, covert, or format the RAW into NTFS. Following of all the steps are mandatory.
- Connect the raw external hard drive with your computer.
- Launch the "Command Prompt" as the above mentioned by type "CMD" in search box and press Enter.
- After launching, type "DiskPart". Click on the Enter.
- Type all the commands including: "List disk", "select disk", "format fs=ntfs quick". Click on the key "Enter" after each of these commands.
- After doing all, wait for the 100% completion of the process. After completion, you will see the sentence ‘DiskPart successfully formatted the volume’ and this means the conversion of raw hard drive to NTFS is successfully done.
Method 4: Delete RAW Partition and Create a New Partition
Another solution to fix the issues is to delete the RAW partition and create another one specifically in the unallocated space. Keep in mind that deletion of the partition can cause data loss and it is necessary to backup before using it. The steps need to follow correctly.
- Together press the keys "Windows + R" and then type "diskmgmt.msc" then press "Enter". While doing so, the launching of Disk Manager is done.
- Select the correct RAW partition.
- After that, click on the button "Delete Volume".
- Select "Free disk space" and right-click on the button and choose "New Simple Volume".
- In the final step, you need to follow the wizard for the completion of the raw external hard drive file system.
All these methods are helpful in fixing the raw external hard drive without losing and formatting data. Use iBatsoft Data Recovery for assurance that no data is lost while the formatting of RAW file. If all the above methods do not work, send it to the seller to fix it.
Part 3. FAQ for How to fix raw file system on external hard drive
Q: how can i format my external hard drive without losing data?
A: you know, formatting means erasing. You format your external hard drive, it means all the files on the hard drive will be removed. To prevent data losing, you need iBatsoft data recovery to recover files from the external hard drive before formatting.
Q: how do i fix a raw external hard drive without formatting?
A: You can try DiskPart, Chkdsk,etc. as the above listed methods to fix raw external hard drive without formatting it.
Q: how can I avoid external hard drive becomes raw?
A: To avoid raw issue on external hard drive, you should first make clear the caused for raw file system.
- USB port or USB cable gets something wrong and the external hard drive system can’t work.
- You unplug the external hard drive without using the safe Ejection.
- The virus infects the system.
Generally, protecting your USB port, cable as well as the external hard drive, and using it properly is the best way to avoid external hard drive becomes raw.